Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Quasi-ninja Entertainment

Reminiscent of adventure packed, third-grade, “choose-your-ending” readers, Hero is a repetitive, over stylized martial arts spoof. Un-named and enigmatic, the samurai-warrior appears in the first scene and immediately displays his aggrandized mastery of judo. Hero, zealous for world renown fame, easily accomplishes his mission and defeats the three assassins, only for the story to rewind and revisit the epic narrative in new color schemes. Four colors, one hue prominent in each retelling, are used to show the emotions of the person describing the action sequence. However well coordinated the colors are to the feelings they are trying to provoke, they are distracting and discomfit the viewer by inundating the mind with an overload of stimulation. Moreover this film is chalk full of ridiculous phenomenons--lightening-fast reactions that are not humanly possible without special effects; ambivalent characters that vacillate between right and wrong; men flying through the air, brandishing otherwise unwieldable ornate katanas. Along with the fantastical, flawless choreography, these unrealistic elements turn the noble and manly qualities of ancient hand-to-hand skirmishes into bizarre ballet-like dances. Not to mention the irrelevant details that are added indiscriminately to the subsequent recurrent plots. Hero’s computerized reality is inordinately pathetic.



This was my last recitation before I go home for fall break! yay!!!

4 comments:

Marissa said...

Wow Caity! I'm impressed, how did you whip that out in so short a time??? I can't believe you remembered all that! I had to keep my dictionary open the whole time. Your vocabulary astounds me! I'm jealous. =) Jk, you're love of words has inspired me. I hope Nate Douglas liked it... how did you feel it went? I'd love to hear about it. Can't wait to see you in a week and 4 days. ;-)
Rissie

caitygirl said...

haha, I have no idea if Nate Douglas liked it...but hopefullly Nate Wilson did. =) Last night was pretty crazy and this morning I finished it up at Bucers (early mornings there are the best for studying!). I too had to have my dictionary and thesaurus open. I'm glad you are inspired. <3 love you!

Spencer Mom said...

You continue to improve your writing. I'm so happy that you continue to grow in this area. What a gift it is to be able to articulate your thoughts so well. You amaze me!

Counting the days...

Anonymous said...

Great recitation! I've never seen Hero... and from your description I gather that I haven't missed anything! :)

-Corey Poff